Conquering Life One Book at a Time....

When an up-and-coming publishing company asked if I would write a collection of articles about books, life, and my opinion on both, I immediately turned my head and looked behind me to see who they were talking to. When I realized there was nobody else in the room I asked them, "Why me? I know very little about books, and I'm still trying to figure out what the word LIFE even means." Their response was "That's why."

You should know I am not a writer, an editor, or a critic. I have absolutely no credentials as far as reviewing books. I won't be using words like "protagonist, " or "heroin," and if their is symbollism in the story I probably will interpret it completely different than what the author had intended. However, what you will get is an honest opinion so that the average person can not only connect with the book, but also integrate real issues that will teach, entertain, challenge and most of all... INSPIRE.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson

I don't have any tattoos.  Nor would I ever get any, mostly because I am afraid of commitment, however I certainly don't judge those who do.  I first heard about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo about two years ago.  I saw it in the book store being displayed as a NY Times Best Seller so I picked it up to skim through it.  The cover was aesthetically intriguing but as soon as I started to read I found it difficult to follow and slightly boring.  Truth be told a few years ago I wasn't exactly what you would call an "avid" reader, so unless the subject matter pertained to Manhattan night life, dating, or dieting... everything was difficult to follow.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo found me once again, two and a half years later.  The book remained the same but the person had changed dramatically.  Once being a television producer, I was the cliche workaholic, always on my phone, never having any time for anything.  Within those two long unhappy years I realized I needed a life where I would have more time for myself, and a job that was more than just making some man in a suit richer.  I decided then to take some time off.  That's when I found my love for reading, and my new interest in the publishing world emerged.  I started doing marketing for a brilliant author and the time I found I had, increased ten fold.  So here we are, and how it so happened that I gave The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a second chance.  The cover was still aesthetically intriguing, and the beginning of the book was actually still boring.  But then... it got better. 



The book reads as a modern day Clue, trying to figure out if it was Colonel Mustard in the kitchen with a candlestick type suspense novel. Which, I mean, who doesn't love the game Clue?  The only difference is that it takes place in Sweden, on an Island, and the list of suspects happen to all be related.  The rigorous part about reading this book is having to digest the entire families history. If you can get through that which lasts for about 30% of the book, then you can finally start to enjoy it.   This is one of those books where the sum is greater than its parts.  There is a lot of little stories all happening separately but it is not until you get to the end that you can you appreciate them. 

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is in fact Lisbeth Salander, probably one of the most interesting characters I have ever met.   It is her inner strength and mantra really, that no one should get away with doing something that is intended to hurt her, no matter how small (or in some cases how big), that makes her character so intriguing.  She is an extremely strong woman who has been through a lot, probably more than most, but doesn't ever play the victim. Another admirable quality. 

Have you ever found yourself in one of those situations where someone says just one little thing to zing you? And instead of of saying anything back you choose to be passive aggressive and sit silent.  That is typically how I operate, which is something I know I personally need to work on.  No one should make you feel like you are less worthy in this world, and if they do, then you have every right to reciprocate the gesture.  Lisbeth Salander, is one of those people who make you live to regret it.  I envy that. Of course, the book takes on much larger problems than just someone hurting your feelings.  I will warn you that there is a very descriptive sexual assault that takes place in the novel that is actually painful to read.  A large part of the book deals with the bigger issue of domestic violence and assault on women.  Another reason why I not only liked the book, but also respected it.  To be able to write a book that both entertains and brings awareness to the horrific atrocities that happen everyday in this world is truly a gift.

The other part of the book that I found slightly humorous, although I am sure it was not intended to be funny in any way, is the male figure of the story, Mikael Blomkvist.  He is written so realistically, its shocking.  The typical womanizer, who is smart and charming, but makes no apologies for the fact that he sleeps around.  At least he is honest about it, probably the one thing that isn't quite as realistic.  Mikael is a journalist who is hired by the head of the Vanger family to solve a murder that took place over thirty years ago.  There is one thing that was written in the book that made me slightly figure out at least a piece of the puzzle that I thought was a little obvious.  Luckily, even if you do pick up on what I had, it doesn't ruin the end for you.  I don't believe anyone can see that coming. 

Between Lisbeth and Mikael, their hidden secrets, personal agendas, and a race against time to figure out who in this "Dynasty type" family is capable of murder, you really do find yourself on the edge of your seat and holding your breath until the very end.  And the end, trust me, is disturbing.  There is just no other word to describe it. 

This book is in development to be made into a movie in America scheduled to be released December 21, 2011.  It is apart of a trilogy that is accompanied by The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest.  I think it is important to note that the author of this book passed away prior to the novels being published.  He never knew that he had written, what came to be, an International Best Seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment